Questions from Teachers
All information you enter is strictly for your purposes only, so you can of course enter anything you want. It's mainly there to help you know "who is who".
You can also set the student's login username to whatever you want, and all students can be exported via Excel/CSV/PDF, making it easy for you to print it off and tell "who" each student is.
Another variation of this question we receive is whether you can enter just the student's first names and last initial -- that's absolutely fine!
Yes, everything you enter during the trial is retained when you convert to the paid account, no data will be lost.
If you are looking for hosting only, where you receive a WHM Reseller account and can create your students their own cPanel accounts, we do offer this separate from EduBolt. Click here to view pricing.
With that said, Edubolt is similar to hosting but is not just a hosting account offering. Unlike web hosting accounts, your students don't have to buy a domain name or use a subdomain; EduBolt provides secure access to their site with SSL, and their work is secured automatically behind the scenes to keep you in full compliance with student data security requirements.
We also take it a step further and classify EduBolt as a web design (or development) class platform, because your students can read through your lessons and complete their assignments all within EduBolt.
In a nutshell: very easy. For a more detailed explanation, read on.
Most likely, you're currently viewing your student's files one of three ways:
- Your students are emailing you their work, probably zipped up. Now you have to download those files for every single one of your students to your local computer and go through them one by one. What a headache, hassle and waste of time! Additionally, unless you are running your own webserver you aren't going to be able to run your student's PHP files.
- You have your students use a web hosting account, and they send you the link to their work. You click the link and can view the output, but what about the source (not to mention all the CSS and JS files they might be including - how much time does it take to bring those up)? And once again, you can't view the source for PHP files.
By this point, you are seeing the pattern here. Most likely, the current method you are using to view student's files (both the source code itself AND executing the files) is not efficient.
That's where EduBolt shines. To view your student's files:
- You create an assignment within EduBolt and your students complete the assignment.
- You view a list of your students' submissions, click into one and see all of their files.
- You can select, for instance, a PHP file they wrote and view a split-screen window: one side is source code, other side is execution output.
It is really that easy. For any given assignment, you can quickly view all of your students' files, student-by-student.
Per our Terms of Service, the following is Our Permitted File Types list: HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, PDF, and images (png, gif, jpg, etc.). Any other filetypes are subject to deletion (.exe, .msi, .zip, etc).
Please contact us to request a quote for accomodating the hosting of such websites for students.
Realistically, no files on a website are more than 5MB. A typical webpage is 30KB, an entire site might be 2MB. By providing a 5MB per file limit, we are ensuring whatever Permitted File you are trying to upload, will actually get uploaded.
Again, unlike regular hosting accounts, we do not have a strict maximum amount of disk space that can be used. In general, so long as your students are only uploading Permitted File Types for assignments in your class, you do not need to worry about disk space.
Yes, EduBolt supports FTP; in fact, your students have a number of ways in which they can complete their assignments.
- Create their files directly using EduBolt
- Upload (via Drag-and-drop or Browsing for files) their files directly into EduBolt
- Connect into EduBolt using FTP to upload their files into the specific assignments' folder
Whether it is FTP or loading the site in a web browser, the answer is the same - nobody can see your student's files besides teachers. Students cannot view each other's files.
We accept Purchase Orders on official school letterhead, as well as the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club.
Visit https://app.edubolt.com and click Terms of Service in the footer.